Place:


Exmouth  Devon

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Exmouth like this:

Exmouth, watering-place, seaport, and market town with ry. sta., E. Devon, at E. side of mouth of river Exe, 10 miles SE. of Exeter, pop. 6245; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1 newspaper. Market-days, Tuesday and Saturday. Exmouth was the first watering-place on the coast of Devon, and is used not only for sea-bathing, but as a winter residence for those suffering under pulmonary complaints, the climate being mild, and the town being sheltered from the easterly winds. ...


There are assembly rooms, baths, libraries, &c.; and the sea-wall, 1800 ft. long and 22 ft. high, makes a fine promenade. The chief industries are lace-making and the fisheries. Exmouth was at one time among the chief ports of Devon; in 1347 it contributed 10 vessels to the siege of Calais. Near the town is a natural harbour called the Bight, and docks were constructed in 1869. Exmouth is connected with Exeter by a branch of the London and South-Western Ey.

Exmouth through time

Exmouth is now part of East Devon district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Devon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Exmouth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Exmouth in East Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/346

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Exmouth ".