Place:


Usworth  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Usworth like this:

USWORTH, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Washington parish, Durham; adjacent to the North-eastern railway, 4 miles SE of Gateshead. It has a post-office under Gateshead, and a r. station. Acres, 2,548. Real property, £13,711; of which £7,225 are in mines, £109 in quarries, and £20 in the railway. ...


Pop. in 1851, 2,051; in 1861, 3,677. Houses, 691. The increase of pop. arose chiefly from extension of collieries. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £161.* Patron, the Rector of Washington. The church was built in 1832. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and an endowed school with £30 a year.

Usworth through time

Usworth is now part of Sunderland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sunderland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Usworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Usworth, in Sunderland and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3440

Date accessed: 19th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Usworth ".