Place:


South Huish  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Huish like this:

HUISH (SOUTH), a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon; on the coast, 3¾ miles SW of Kingsbridge, and 12 S of Kingsbridge Road r. station. It includes the hamlets of Glampton, Silverhill, and Hope Cove; and its post town is Kingsbridge. Acres, 1, 150; of which 100 are water. Real property, with Malborough, £10, 705. ...


Rated property of S. H. alone, £1, 501. Pop., 346. Houses, 79. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Earl of Devon. An old castle, of which some remains exist, stood on the rocks near the sea, and is traditionally said to have been assailed by the parliamentarians in the civil war. The parish is a meet for the Malborough hounds. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of West Alvington, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is ancient, but good; and comprises nave, S aisle, N transept, and chancel. There is a chapel for Plymouth Brethren at Glampton.

South Huish through time

South Huish is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Huish itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Huish, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3435

Date accessed: 20th September 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Huish ".