Place:


Walpole St Andrew  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Walpole St Andrew like this:

WALPOLE-ST. ANDREW, a parish, with W.-St. A. village, and Cross-Keys hamlet, in the district of Wisbeach and county of Norfolk; at W. r. station, 8½ miles W by S of Lynn. It has a post-office under Wisbeach; and it gives the title of Baron to Earl Orford. Acres, 3,494; of which 1,130 are water. ...


Real property, £6,131. Pop., 709. Houses, 162. The manor belongs to the Rev.H. Townshend. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £1,259.* Patron, the Rev.H. Townshend. The church is good. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a parochial school, three alms houses, and other charities £35.

Walpole St Andrew through time

Walpole St Andrew is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Walpole St Andrew itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Walpole St Andrew in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3368

Date accessed: 06th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Walpole St Andrew ".