Place:


Exton  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Exton like this:

EXTON, a village and a parish in Oakham district, Rutland. The village stands on an affluent of the river Gwash, 5 miles ENE of Oakham r. station; and was known, at Domesday, as Exentune. The parish, jointly with Horn, comprises 4, 860 acres. Post town, Greetham, under Oakham. Real property, £5, 820. ...


Pop., 805. Houses, 164. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to David Earl of Huntingdon; passed to the Bruces, the Culpepers, and the Harringtons; and came to the Noels. Exton Park is the seat of the Earl of Gainsborough; and the present mansion was built in 1854, and has attached to it a Roman Catholic chapel built in 1869. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £325.* Patron, the Earl of Gainsborough. The church was restored in 1853, and contains some splendid monuments of the Harringtons and the Noels. There are a boys' free school, aged women's alms-houses, and other charities £42.

Exton through time

Exton is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Exton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Exton in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3314

Date accessed: 21st August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Exton ".