Place:


Flitcham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Flitcham like this:

FLITCHAM, a parish in Freebridge-Lynn district, Norfolk; on the river Babingley, 4¾ miles ENE of Castle-Rising, and 5½ E by S of Wolverton r. station. It includes Appleton; and its post town is Castle-Rising, under Lynn. Acres, 4, 200. Real property, £4, 091. Pop., 533. Houses, 98. ...


The property is subdivided. The manor belonged formerly to the great Coke, and belongs now to the Earl of Leicester. A number of cottages, for farm-labourers, were recently erected. An Augustinian priory, a cell to Walsingham abbey, was founded here, in the time of Henry III., by Robert d'Aiguillon, and given, at the dissolution, to the Clintons; and some remains of it exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £80.* Patron, the Earl of Leicester. The church is old but good.

Flitcham through time

Flitcham is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Flitcham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Flitcham in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3300

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Flitcham ".