Place:


Eastchurch  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eastchurch like this:

EASTCHURCH, a hamlet, a parish, and a sub-district in Sheppey district, Kent. The hamlet lies on Hensbrook, on the north side of Sheppey-Isle, 6 miles E by S of Queen borough r. station, and 7½ NE of Sittingbourne. It has a post office under Sittingbourne. The parish comprises 7, 511 acres of land, and 1, 110 of water. ...


Real property, £11, 014. Pop., 996. Houses, 191. The property is divided among a few. Shurland manor here belonged to a family of its own name before the time of Henry III.; passed in 1323 to the Cheneys; and went afterwards to the Herberts. A mansion was built on it in the time of Henry VIII., with materials from Chilham castle; and is now a farm house. Eastchurch living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £1, 724.* Patron, J. Swainson, Esq. The church is perpendicular English; has a conspicuous tower; belonged early to the Cistertian convent of the Dunes, in Flanders; and was transferred to Boxley abbey in Kent. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans. A school has £13 from endowment; and other charities have £38.—The sub-district contains four other parishes. Acres, 19, 548. Pop., 1, 557. Houses, 296.

Eastchurch through time

Eastchurch is now part of Swale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Swale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Eastchurch itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eastchurch, in Swale and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3168

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Eastchurch ".