Place:


Mileham  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mileham like this:

MILEHAM, a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk; at the sources of the river Nar, 2¼ miles NE by E of Litcham, and 4 NNE of Fransham r. station. Post town, Litcham, under Swaffham. Acres, 2,851. Real property, £4,806. Pop., 546. Houses, 117. The manor of Mileham was given by William the Conqueror to Alan, son of Flaald; and belongs now to the Rev.B. ...


Barnwell. The manor of Burghwood belongs to the Earl of Leicester. Remains exist of an ancient castle, supposed to have been erected by Alan, son of Flaald. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Valne, £650.* Patron, the Rev.B. Barnwell. The church is ancient; consists of nave and chancel, with a tower; and contains a brass of 1526, and monuments to the Stranges, the Barnwells, and the Davys. There are an endowed school with £12 a year, and charities £53. Lord Chief Justice Coke was a native.

Mileham through time

Mileham is now part of Breckland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Breckland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mileham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mileham, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3159

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mileham ".