Place:


Bethersden  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bethersden like this:

BETHERSDEN, a village and a parish in West Ashford district, Kent. The village stands 2 miles S of Pluckley r. station, and 5 ½ WSW of Ashford; and has a post office under Staplehurst, and a fair on 31 July. The parish comprises 6,345 acres. Real property, £5,127. Pop., 1,124. Houses. ...


237 The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the Grensteads; and passed to the Lovelaces. A marble here, now little worked, and consisting almost wholly of minute freshwater shells, was formerly in great request for monumental sculptures and the decoration of cathedrals. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £165.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is of Tudor date, and in good condition. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, a national school, and an education charity.

Bethersden through time

Bethersden is now part of Ashford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ashford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bethersden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bethersden, in Ashford and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3147

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bethersden ".