Place:


Digswell  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Digswell like this:

DIGSWELL, a village and a parish in Hatfield district, Herts. The village stands on the river Maran, adjacent to the Great Northern railway, 1 mile SSE of Welwyn r. station, and 4 N of Hatficld. It was known at Domesday as Dichelswelle; and it came to be a market-town, but has declined. The parish comprises 1, 623 acres; and its post town is Welwyn. ...


Real property, £2, 422. Pop., 243. Houses, 43. The property is divided among a few. Digswell House belonged once to the Peryents; and passed to the Cowpers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £393.* Patron, the Rev. G. E. Prescot. The church is good; and there is a free school.

Digswell through time

Digswell is now part of Welwyn Hatfield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Welwyn Hatfield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Digswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Digswell, in Welwyn Hatfield and Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3143

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Digswell ".