Place:


Llaneleu  Brecknockshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llaneleu like this:

LLANELIEU, a parish in Hay district, Brecon; under Cradle mountain, 3¾ miles S by E of Glasbury r. station, and 5¼ SSW of Hay. Post town, Hay, under Hereford. Acres, 5,539. Real property, £884. Pop. in 1851,111; in 1861,93. Houses, 16. Most of the surface is waste and mountain. ...


Several old seats were on it, but were changed into farm-houses. A flint spear-head, 7 inches long, and an ancient pot, have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £90. Patron, the Earl of Ashburnham. The church is dedicated to St. Ellyw. The parish shares in the Boughrood charities at Brecon.

Llaneleu through time

Llaneleu is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llaneleu itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llaneleu, in Powys and Brecknockshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2973

Date accessed: 16th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llaneleu ".