Place:


Berriw  Montgomeryshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Berriw like this:

BERRIEW, or Aber-Rhiw, a township and a parish in the district and county of Montgomery. The township lies on the canal, at the influx of the river Rhiw to the Severn, 3½ miles NW of Montgomery, and 5¼. SSW of Welshpool r. station. It has a post office‡ of the name of Berriew, under Shrewsbury; is a seat of petty sessions; and carries on some woollen manufacture. ...


Real property, with Allt, £2,398. The parish includes also the townships of Allt, Brincamisir, Brithdir, Ffrydd, Garthmill, Keel, Keelcochwyn, Llandinir, Llivior, Penthryn, Trwstywelin, Vaynor-Issa, and Vaynor-Ucha. Acres, 12,010. Rated property, £11,938. Pop., 2,155. Houses, 414. The property is much subdivided. Vaynor Park is a chief residence. Some fine scenery occurs on the Severn; and there are some ancient British remains. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £356.* Patron, the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church is good. A school has £93 from endowment, and other charities £32.

Berriw through time

Berriw is now part of Powys district. Click here for graphs and data of how Powys has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Berriw itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Berriw, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2880

Date accessed: 14th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Berriw ".