Place:


Atcham  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Atcham like this:

ATCHAM, a township, a parish, a subdistrict, and a district in Salop. The township lies at the influx of the Tern to the Severn, 2 miles SSW of Upton-Magna r. station, 4 SE of Shrewsbury, and 6¼ W by N of the Wrekin. It also bears the name of Attingham; and has an inn. The parish includes also the townships of Berwick, Chilton, Cronkhill, Emstray, and Uckington; and has a post office under Shrewsbury. ...


Acres, 3,762. Real property, £4,851. Pop., 406. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. Attingham Hall is the seat of Lord Berwick, and contains a fine gallery of paintings, chiefly by the early Italian masters, also a fine collection of Etruscan vases and other antiquities from Herculaneum. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £330. Patron, R. Burton, Esq. The church has a good Norman doorway, an old porch, a reading-desk with carved panels, and an ivy-covered square tower; but is in very bad condition. Charities, £84. Ordericus Vitalis, the historian, born in 1074, was a native.-The subdistrict comprises the parishes of Atcham, Uppington, Leighton, Eaton-Constantine, and Wroxeter. Acres, 12,316. Pop., 1,699. Houses, 347.—The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Battlefield, containing the parishes of Battlefield, Preston-Gubbals, Uffington,-Upton-Magna, and Withington, the extra-parochial tract of Hanghmond-Demesne, and part of the parish of St. Mary-Shrewsbury; the subdistrict of Montford, containing the parishes of Montford, Melverley, Shrawardine, and Fitz; the sub district of Alberbury, containing the parishes of Cardeston and Ford, and part of the parish of Alberbury, portions of which are electorally in Montgomery; the subdistrict of Westbury, conterminate with the parish of Westbury; the subdistrict of Pontesbury, containing the parishes of Pontesbury, Habberley, and Great Hanwood; and the subdistrict of Condover, containing the parishes of Condover, Harley, Shineton, Cound, Kenley, Hughley, Church-Preen, Acton-Burnell, Frodesley, Pitchford, Berrington, Sutton, Stapleton, and Church-Pulverbatch. Poor-rates in 1866, £8,972. Pop. in 1841, 18,842; in 1861, 19,455. Houses, 3,848. Marriages in 1866, 105; births, 538,-of which 36 were illegitimate; deaths, 344,-of which 75 were at ages under 5 years, and 27 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60. 974; births, 5,352; deaths, 3,499. The places of worship in 1851 were 43 of the Church of England, with 9,027 sittings; 9 of Independents, with 1,299 s.; 4 of Baptists, with 433 s.; 5 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 290 s.; 1 of New Connexion Methodists, with 96 s.; 16 of Primitive Methodists, with 1,219 s.; 1 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 125 s.; 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 40 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 170 s. The schools were 29 public day schools, with 1,703 scholars; 24 private day schools, with 388 s.; and 32 Sunday schools, with 1,391 s. The workhouse is in Berrington.

Atcham through time

Atcham is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Atcham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Atcham, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2855

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Atcham ".