Place:


Pelynt  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Pelynt like this:

PELYNT, or Plynt, a village and a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall. The village stands 4 miles W N W of Looe, and 9¾ S S W of Liskeard r. station; and has a post-office under Liskeard, and fairs on the first Tuesday of Feb. and 24 June. The parish comprises 4, 683 acres. Real property, £4,055. ...


Pop., 729. Houses, 142. The property is divided among a few. The manor was known, at Domesday, as Plewent; belonged then to the Earl of Mortaigne; and was recently sold in lots. Trelawney House belongs to the Trelawney family; was the birthplace of Sir Jonathan Trelawney, one of the seven bishops committed to the Tower by James II.; and contains a noble hall and many valuable pictures. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £240.* Patron, J. W. Buller, Esq. The church contains the monuments, effigies, and armour of the Achyms, the Bullers, and the Trelawneys. A chapel is at Trelawney House; and a small convent, with a chapel, is about a mile from it. Charities, £6.

Pelynt through time

Pelynt is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Pelynt itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Pelynt, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2832

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Pelynt ".