Place:


Lyndon  Rutland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lyndon like this:

LYNDON, a parish in Oakham district, Rutland; on the river Chater, 1¾ mile E of Manton r. station, and 4½ NE of Uppingham. Post town, Uppingham. Acres, 902. Real property, £1,527. Pop., 126. Houses, 27. The manor, with Lyndon Hall, belongs to E. N. Conant, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £190. * Patron, E. N. Conant, Esq. The church is old; has a tower; and was restored and enlarged in 1866, at a cost of about £1,500. The churchyard contains a monumental tablet to Whiston the translator of Josephus. Charities, £8.

Lyndon through time

Lyndon is now part of Rutland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Rutland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lyndon itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lyndon in Rutland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2811

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lyndon ".