Place:


Stainton  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stainton like this:

STAINTON-WITH-STREATLAM, a township in Gainford parish, Durham; 2 miles NE of Barnard-Castle. Acres, 2,907. Real property, £3,146; of which £40 are in quarries. Pop., 351. Houses, 69. Streatlam-Castle was built in the 13th century, by Sir G. Trayre; passed to the family of Bowes; was rebuilt in 1450, by the first Sir W. Bowes; was new-fronted and modernized, in 1708-10, by another Sir W. Bowes; and contains a fine collection of pictures.

Stainton through time

Stainton is now part of Teesdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teesdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stainton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stainton, in Teesdale and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2779

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stainton ".