Place:


Newton Cap  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newton Cap like this:

NEWTON-CAP, a township in Auckland, St. Andrew parish, Durham; on the river Wear, ½ a mile N W of Bishop-Auckland. Acres, 939. Real property, £2, 159. Pop. in 1851, 280; in 1861, 404. Houses, 86. Newton Hall is the seat of W. Russell, Esq.

Newton Cap through time

Newton Cap is now part of Wear Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wear Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Newton Cap itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newton Cap, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2774

Date accessed: 24th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Newton Cap ".