Place:


South Pool  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Pool like this:

POOL (South), a village and a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon. The village stands at the head of acreek of Salcombe haven, 4¼ miles S E of Kingsbridge r.station. The parish contains also the hamlet of North Pool, and part of the village of Frogmore; the latter of which has a post-office under Kingsbridge. ...


Acres, 2, 289; of which 360 are water. Real property, with Chivelstone and East Portlemouth, £8,096. Pop., of S. P. alone, 413. Houses, 87. The manor of South Pool belongs to Mrs. Praed; and that of North Pool, to the Earl of Devon. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £486.* Patrons, Mrs. Praed one turn, A. Kelly, Esq., two turns. The church is good; has a lofty tower; and contains a carved screen, and a fine altar tomb.

South Pool through time

South Pool is now part of South Hams district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Hams has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Pool itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Pool, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2770

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Pool ".