Place:


Shirland  Derbyshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shirland like this:

SHIRLAND, a village, a township, and a parish, in Chesterfield district, Derby. The village stands 2 miles SSE of Stretton r. station, and 2 N by W of Alfreton; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under Alfreton. The township contains also Hallfield hamlet. Pop. in 1851, 851; in 1861, 1,048. ...


Houses, 203. The parish includes also Higham township, and comprises 2,942 acres. Rated property, £5,357. Pop. in 1851, 1,268; in 1861, 1,426. Houses, 281. The property is subdivided. Framework-knitting is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £265.* Patrons, rotationally R. Ramsden, Esq., B. B. Thompson, Esq., and Sir R. Tufton, Bart. The church was restored in 1848. There are two Wesleyan chapels, national schools, an endowed school with £25 a year, and charities £8.

Shirland through time

Shirland is now part of North East Derbyshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North East Derbyshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Shirland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shirland in North East Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2737

Date accessed: 15th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Shirland ".