Place:


Cobham  Surrey

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cobham like this:

COBHAM, a village and a parish in Epsom district, Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, adjacent to Stane-street, 3¼ miles SE of Weybridge r. station, and 6½ W of Epsom; and has a head post office, ‡ and a fair on 11 Dec. The parish comprises 5, 228 acres. Real property, £10, 294. ...


Pop., 1, 998. Houses, 379. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Chertsey-abbey passed to the Page family; and belongs now to the Rev. F. J. Mount. Cobham Park mansion was built by J. Bridges, Esq., about 1725, on the plan of an Italian villa; passed to the Earl of Ligonier; and is now the seat ofCoombe, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £150.* Patron, Charles coombe, Esq. The church is chiefly later English, but has a Norman door and a Norman tower. The p. curacy of Hatchford is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel of 1862, parochial schools, and charities £41.

Cobham through time

Cobham is now part of Elmbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Elmbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cobham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cobham, in Elmbridge and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2714

Date accessed: 20th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cobham ".