Place:


Kings House  Argyll

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Kings House like this:

King's House, an inn at the N border of Glenorchy parish, Argyllshire, on the left bank of the Etive, and on the road from Loch Lomond to Fort William, 17 miles E by S of Ballachulish pier and 17¼ NNW of Tyndrum station. A large square slated structure, originally erected about the time of the '45 for the accommodation of troops marching through the Highland fastnesses, it stands (800 feet above sea-level) amid a wild, high, moorland region, spreading eastward into the Alpine wilderness of Rannoch Muir, and rising westward into the great twin-summits of BuachailleEtive and other mountains around the head of Glencoe. ...


Dorothy Wordsworth, who, with her brother William, here spent a wretched night (3 Sept. 1803), has finely described the desolation of the spot on pp. 175-180 of her Journal (ed. by Princ. Shairp, 1874).—Ord. Sur., sh. 54, 1873.

Kings House through time

Kings House is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kings House itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kings House, in Highland and Argyll | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27093

Date accessed: 18th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kings House ".