Place:


Carron  Stirlingshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Carron like this:

Carron, vil., Larbert par., Stirlingshire, near river Carron, 2 miles NW. of Falkirk, pop. 902; P.O.; the ironworks, which are very extensive, were established in 1760. Carronades, a peculiar species of ordnance, were so called from being cast here.

Additional information about this locality is available for Larbert

Carron through time

Carron is now part of Falkirk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Falkirk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carron itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carron, in Falkirk and Stirlingshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27041

Date accessed: 16th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carron ".