Place:


Darnaway  Moray

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Darnaway like this:

Darnaway Castle, a noble mansion in Dyke and Moy parish, Elginshire, in the valley of the Findhorn, 1¼ mile W of that river's left bank, and 2½ miles SSE of Brodie station, this being 3½ miles W by S of Forres, under which there is a post office of Darnaway. Crowning a gentle eminence, and overtopping a vast extent of forest, it commands a magnificent view, and was built about 1810, being a large, oblong, castellated pile of very imposing appearance-a seat of the Earl of Moray, who owns 21,669 acres in Elginshire, valued at £9420 per annum. ...


Of the castle founded here by Randolph, Earl of Moray, early in the 14th century, nothing is left but the banqueting hall, which, forming a back wing to the modern mansion, measures 89 feet in length by 35 in width, and has an arched oaken roof, somewhat similar to that of the Parliament House in Edinburgh. It contains a portrait of the ` Bonny Earl of Moray ' who was murdered at Donibristle; and in it Queen Mary held her court in 1564. The park is finely wooded, upwards of ten millions of trees having been planted towards the close of last century, to fill up gaps in Darnaway Forest, which extends into Edinkillie. See Moray, Dyke, Donibristle, Doune, and CastleStuart.—Ord. Sur., sh. 84,1876.

Additional information about this locality is available for Dyke

Darnaway through time

Darnaway is now part of Moray district. Click here for graphs and data of how Moray has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Darnaway itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Darnaway in Moray | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27029

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Darnaway ".