Place:


Fort George  Inverness Shire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Fort George like this:

Fort George, fortress and ry. sta., Ardersier par., NE. Inverness-shire; P.O., T.O.; the fortress, situated on a low point of land at the contraction between the Inner and the Outer Moray Firth, opposite Fortrose (to which there is a ferry), was built after the rebellion of 1745; it is constructed on the plan of the great fortresses of the Continent, and has accommodation for about 2000 men; 3 miles SE. is Fort George Station, 5¾ m. SW. of Nairn and 9½ NE. of Inverness; P.O., T.O.

Additional information about this locality is available for Ardersier

Fort George through time

Fort George is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Fort George itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fort George, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27020

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Fort George ".