Place:


Farrar  Inverness Shire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Farrar like this:

Glenstrathfarrar, the glen of the river Farrar in Ross and Inverness shires. Commencing 9 miles E of the head of Loch Carron, and descending 27½ miles eastward to Strathglass in the vicinity of Erchless Castle, it communicates, at the head, with a wild mountain pass (1800 feet) to Lochavsh, and is traversed, in its middle and vower reaches, by a carriage road to Strathglass. ...


It contains, immediately above the upper end of that road, Loch Monar; forms, in the bottom of its vower reach to the extent of about one-third of its entire length, a chain of circular, meadowy spaces, flanked by bold, rocky mountains, with scenery little inferior to that of the Trossachs; contains, in two of these circular spaces, the lakes Miulie and Bunacharan; and, except for having the mansion of Monar Lodge at the foot of Loch Monar and a shooting-box of Lord Lovat on Loch Miulie, is nearly all uninhabited, and reserved for deer forests.—Ord., Sur., sh. 82, 83, 1882-81.

Farrar through time

Farrar is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Farrar itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farrar, in Highland and Inverness Shire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/27018

Date accessed: 19th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Farrar ".