Place:


Forth  Scotland

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Forth like this:

Forth, River, Scotland; is formed by 2 headstrearns rising to the N. of Ben Lomond -- the Duchray Water (flowing along the border of Stirling and Perth) and the Avondhu (flowing through Loch Chon and Loch Ard), which meet 1 mile W. of Aberfoyle, SW. Perthshire; flows E. to Stirling, and from Stirling, (through the Links of Forth) to Alloa, whence it gradually expands into the Firth of Forth; is 52¾ miles long to Stirling, 12½ thence to Alloa, and 51¼ thence to the mouth of the estuary; is 1¼ mile wide between North and South Queensferry, 5 miles between Granton and Burntisland, and about 30 at the mouth of the estuary between Fife Ness and St Abb's Head. ...


The anchorages are excellent, and the Firth of Forth is the most important harbour of refuge to the N. of the Humber. On the Isle of May and on Inchkeith are lighthouses. Several of the ports (Leith, Granton, Borrowstounness, Grangemouth) carry on a large foreign trade. Steamers go up to Stirling. The river is a good salmon stream, and the estuary abounds in white fish and herrings. The principal ferries are between Granton and Burntisland, and between North and South Queensferry.

Forth through time

Forth is now part of Stirling district. Click here for graphs and data of how Stirling has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Forth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Forth, in Stirling and Scotland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26999

Date accessed: 20th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Forth ".