Place:


Dundas  West Lothian

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Dundas like this:

Dundas Castle, a mansion in Dalmeny parish, Linlithgowshire, on the north-eastern extremity of a low basaltic- ridge called Dundas Hill, 1¾ mile SSW of Queensferry. The estate was held by a family of its own name from 1124 or thereabouts till 1875, when it was purchased by the trustees of the late James Russel, Esq.; it comprises 2082 acres, valued at £4724 per annum. ...


The castle, partly of high antiquity, was partly rebuilt by the late James Dundas, Esq. of Dundas (1793-1881); and, with its thick walls and its vaulted chambers, is one of the finest and best-preserved baronial fortalices in Scotland. It sustained a siege in 1449, and on 24 July 1651 received a visit from Oliver Cromwell. Dundas Hill, extending ¾ mile from SE to NW, presents to the SW a precipitous columnar front about 70 feet high, attains an elevation of 380 feet above sea-level, and terminates abruptly in a bold wooded bluff.

Additional information about this locality is available for Dalmeny

Dundas through time

Dundas is now part of Edinburgh district. Click here for graphs and data of how Edinburgh has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Dundas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dundas, in Edinburgh and West Lothian | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26969

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Dundas ".