Place:


Downing  Flintshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Downing like this:

DOWNING, a seat on the Dee seaboard of Flint; 1 mile SW of Mostyn r. station, and 3 NNW of Holywell. It belonged to the Pennants; was the birthplace and residence of Thomas Pennant, the antiquary and naturalist; and passed, by marriage with the antiquary's grand-daughter, to Viscount Fielding. ...


It was built in 1627: has the form of the letter H; contains Pennant's library and museum; and stands amidst luxuriant trees. An ornate church, in the neighbouring tract of Pantasa, was built by the Viscountess Fielding to be a Protestant place of worship; but was changed to the use of Roman Catholicism; and is now connected with a small convent.

Additional information about this locality is available for Whitford

Downing through time

Downing is now part of Flintshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Flintshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Downing itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Downing in Flintshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26928

Date accessed: 24th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Downing ".