Place:


Buchan Ness  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Buchan Ness like this:

Buchan Ness, a low but rocky peninsula of E Aberdeenshire, in the S of Peterhead parish, and 2½ miles S of Peterhead town. Joined to the mainland at Boddam village by a beach of small rounded stones, it is 1½ furlong long, is mainly composed of hornstone and hornstone-porphyry, and is crowned by a circular granite lighthouse (erected in 1827 at a cost of £11,912), whose revolving lantern, 130 feet above sea-level, exhibits a flashing light once every five seconds, visible for 17½ nautical miles.

Additional information about this locality is available for Boddam

Buchan Ness through time

Buchan Ness is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Buchan Ness itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Buchan Ness in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26917

Date accessed: 25th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Buchan Ness ".