Place:


Craigston  Aberdeenshire

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Craigston like this:

Craigston Castle, a mansion in King-Edward parish, NW Aberdeenshire, 4 miles NNE of Turriff. Founded in 1604-7 by John Urquhart, Tutor of Cromarty, it consisted originally of a central tower and two projecting wings, but was so altered by connecting archwork as to be made quadrangular, and is now an interesting edifice, with beautiful grounds and plantations; among its portraits are three by Jameson and four of the dethroned Stuarts. The present owner, Francis Edward Romulus Pollard-Urquhart (b. 1848; suc. 1871), holds 3998 acres in the shire, valued at £2856 per annum.

Additional information about this locality is available for Turriff

Craigston through time

Craigston is now part of Aberdeenshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Aberdeenshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Craigston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Craigston in Aberdeenshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26880

Date accessed: 20th August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Craigston ".