Place:


Balnagown  Ross and Cromarty

 

In 1882-4, Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland described Balnagown like this:

Balnagowan, a mansion in Kilmuir-Easter parish, E Ross-shire, 1½ mile N of Nigg Bay in Cromarty Firth, ½ mile NW of Kildary station, and 5¼ miles S by W of Tain. Standing amid romantic grounds, it commands a magnificent prospect; was a seat of the Earls of Ross in feudal times; is partly very ancient, partly an erection of 1836; and presents an imposing appearance, chiefly in the old Scottish Baronial style. ...


It is a seat of Sir Chs. Wm. F. A. Ross (b. 1812; suc. 1814), seventh Bart. since 1668, and owner of 110,445 acres in the shire, valued at £12,653 per annum.

Balnagown through time

Balnagown is now part of Highland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Highland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Balnagown itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Balnagown, in Highland and Ross and Cromarty | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26857

Date accessed: 23rd August 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Balnagown ".