Place:


Burnham Market  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burnham Market like this:

BURNHAM-WESTGATE, a village and a parish in Docking district, Norfolk. The village stands adjacent to the rivulet Burn, and on the Heacham and wells railway, 8½ miles NW of Fakenham. It has a post office,‡ of the name of Burnham, under Lynn, and a railway station; was formerly a market town; and still has fairs on Easter Tuesday and 1 and 2 Aug. ...


The parish comprises 3,047 acres. Real property, £6,219. Pop., 1,094. Houses, 255. The property is divided among a few. Holkham Park is a seat of the Earl of Leicester. There are two iron-foundries, and an agricultural implement manufactory. The living is a rectory, united with half of the rectories of Burnham-Norton and Burnham-Ulph, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £768.* Patron, Christ's College, Cambridge. The church is a neat building of flint and freestone, with a square tower. There are an Independent chapel, a Primitive Methodist chapel, large national schools, and charities £28.

Burnham Market through time

Burnham Market is now part of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kings Lynn and West Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burnham Market itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burnham Market in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2655

Date accessed: 12th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burnham Market ".