Place:


Mendham  Suffolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mendham like this:

MENDHAM, a village in Hoxne district, Suffolk, and a parish partly also in Norfolk. The village stands on the river Waveney at the boundary with Norfolk, 1¾ mile ESE of Harleston r. station; and has a postal letter-box under Harleston. The parish comprises 3,144 acres. Real property of the Suffolk portion, £4,286. ...


Pop., 558. Houses, 121. Real property of the Norfolk portion, £1,963. Pop., 221. Houses, 49. There are three manors, Walsham Hall, Mendham King's Hall, and Priory; and the first belongs to W. S. Holmes, Esq.,-the second and the third, to Sir Robert S. Adair, Bart. The priory is the residence of Capt. T. Wood A Cluniac priory, a cell to Castle-Acre in Norfolk, was founded here, in the time of Stephen, by William, son of Roger de Huntingfield; was given, at the dissolution, to the Brandons; and has left some remains The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value. £122.* Patron, the Rev. E. W. Whitaker. The church is later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains three good brasses of the Freston family, and several mural monuments. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans, and a parochial school.

Mendham through time

Mendham is now part of Mid Suffolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how Mid Suffolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Mendham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mendham in Mid Suffolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2649

Date accessed: 22nd February 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Mendham ".