Place:


West Somerton  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Somerton like this:

SOMERTON (West), a parish in Flegg district, Norfolk; 8¾ miles NW by N of Yarmouth r. station. It has a post-office under Yarmouth. Acres, 1,189. Real property, £2,252. Pop., 244. Houses, 59. The manor belongs to T. F. Grove, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £98. Patron, T. F. Grove, Esq. The church is thatched; and has a round tower, with octangular lantern.

West Somerton through time

West Somerton is now part of Great Yarmouth district. Click here for graphs and data of how Great Yarmouth has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Somerton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Somerton, in Great Yarmouth and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2636

Date accessed: 22nd October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Somerton ".