Place:


Great Ryburgh  Norfolk

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Ryburgh like this:

RYBURGH (Great), a village and a parish in Walsingham district, Norfolk. The village stands on the river Wensum, adjacent to the Wymondham and Wells railway, 2¾ miles S E of Fakenham; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Fakenham. The parish comprises 1, 170 acres. Real property, £3, 276. ...


Pop., 556. Houses, 118. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to M. Boycott, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with Little Ryburgh, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £600.* Patron, M. Tatham, Esq. The church is cruciform; was restored in 1860, at a cost of more than £1,000; and has a fine stained-glass E window, put up in 1863. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £20.

Great Ryburgh through time

Great Ryburgh is now part of North Norfolk district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Norfolk has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Great Ryburgh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Ryburgh in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2634

Date accessed: 08th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Great Ryburgh ".