Place:


Douglas  the Isle of Man

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Douglas like this:

Douglas.-- capital of the Isle of Man, seaport, and market town, Conchan and Braddan pars., SE. coast of island, on Douglas Bay, at the confluence of the Dhoo and the Glas (whence the name), 11 miles NE. of Castletown and 80 miles NW. of the port of Liverpool, pop. 15,719; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks, 5 newspapers.Market-day, Saturday. ...


Douglas has superseded Castletown as the seat of the Government. It is a favourite watering-place. Immense numbers of visitors flock to it every summer, attracted by the salubrity of its air and the beauty of its scenery. There is regular steam communication with Liverpool, Fleetwood, Barrow, Glasgow, Dublin, &C. The harbour is dry at low water, but a deep-water landing-pier was erected in 1872; and a spacious promenade, running 2 miles along the bay, was opened in 1876. The fisheries and the coasting trade constitute the chief industries.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Douglas, in and the Isle of Man | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26187

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Douglas ".