Place:


Talland  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Talland like this:

TALLAND, a parish in Liskeard district, Cornwall; on the coast, 8 miles S by W of Liskeard r. station. It contains Polperro village and West Looe town, each of which has a post-office under Liskeard. Acres, with Looe Island , 2,665. Real property, £3,590. Pop., 1,570. Houses, 349. The property is subdivided. ...


Polvellan and Kilmenawth are chief residences. A kistvaen was found near Five-Barrowfield; two circular camps are at Berry Park; an ancient earth-work, commanding fine views, is on West Looe downs; and remains of Lammana priory are at Portlooe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £110. Patron, N. Kendall, Esq. The church is good, and stands apart from its tower. There is an endowed school with £11 a year.

Talland through time

Talland is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Talland itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Talland, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2612

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Talland ".