Place:


Sheviock  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sheviock like this:

SHEVIOCK, a parish, with S. village and Crafthole hamlet, in St. Germans district, Cornwall; on the coast, 2 miles SE of St. Germans r. station. It has a post-office under Devonport. Acres, 2,282; of which 345 are water. Real property, £3,109. Pop. in 1851, 573; in 1861, 671. Houses, 122. ...


The increase of pop. arose from the temporary presence of 1abourers in the erection of forts. The property is divided among a few. Trethill was the seat of the navigator Wallis. A pier is at Wrinkle cove; and pilchard fishing is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £350.* Patron, W. H. Pole Carew, Esq. The chancel of the church was restored and embellished in 1851, and has a tower and spire. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and a Church school.

Sheviock through time

Sheviock is now part of Caradon district. Click here for graphs and data of how Caradon has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sheviock itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sheviock, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2611

Date accessed: 13th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sheviock ".