Place:


Ebbs Fleet  Kent

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ebbs Fleet like this:

EBBS-FLEET, a hamlet in Minster parish, Kent; on the coast, near the river Stour, ½ a mile W of the shore of Pegwell bay, and 3½ SW by W of Ramsgate. It formerly stood on a channel, now partly filled up, which went round the S side of Thanet, and formed the shortest water-route to the Thames; it was the Ipyids-flete of the Saxons; and it was the landing-place of Hengist and Horsa in 449, and of St. Augustine in 156.

Additional information about this locality is available for Minster

Ebbs Fleet through time

Ebbs Fleet is now part of Thanet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Thanet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ebbs Fleet itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ebbs Fleet, in Thanet and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/26108

Date accessed: 20th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ebbs Fleet ".