Place:


Douglas  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Douglas like this:

DOUGLAS, a chapelry in Eccleston parish, Lancashire; on the river Douglas and the Southport and Wigan railway, near Newburgh r. station, 5½ miles ENE of Ormskirk. Post town, Parbold, under Ormskirk. Rated property, £2, 500. Pop., 1, 730. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £137.* Patron, the Rector of Eccleston. The church is good.

Additional information about this locality is available for Parbold

Douglas through time

Douglas is now part of West Lancashire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Lancashire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Douglas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Douglas in West Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25994

Date accessed: 05th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Douglas ".