Place:


Kennett  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kennett like this:

KENNETT, a parish in Newmarket district, Cambridge; on a branch of the river Lark, at the boundary with Suffolk, and on the Cambridge, Newmarket, and Bury railway, adjacent to Icknield street, 5 miles NE of Newmarket. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Newmarket. Acres, 1, 425. R eal property, £1, 335. Pop., 207. Houses, 42. The manor belongs to the Rev. W. Godfrey. Fairfax's head quarters were here in 1647. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £200. Patron, the Rev. W. Godfrey. The church has an embattled tower, and was recently restored.

Kennett through time

Kennett is now part of East Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kennett itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kennett in East Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2593

Date accessed: 07th December 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kennett ".