Place:


Witton Junction  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witton Junction like this:

WITTON-JUNCTION, a r. station, with telegraph, in Durham; on the Northeastern system, at the forking of the lines toward respectively Stanhope and Rowley, 3½ miles WNW of Bishop-Auckland.

The location is where the name "Witton Junction" appears on the Ordnance Survey 1:10,560 map of Durham of 1861, accessible on the old-maps.co.uk web site. Additional information about this locality is available for Witton le Wear

Witton Junction through time

Witton Junction is now part of Wear Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wear Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witton Junction itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witton Junction, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25879

Date accessed: 16th June 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witton Junction ".