Place:


Skinburness Marsh  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Skinburness Marsh like this:

SKINBURNESS, a village in Holme-Cultram parish, Cumberland; on the coast, 1¾ mile NNE of Silloth r. station. It was anciently an important place, destroyed by an irruption of the sea about the beginning of the 14th century; and is now a sea-bathing resort, and a place of herring-fishery.

Skinburness Marsh through time

Skinburness Marsh is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Skinburness Marsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Skinburness Marsh, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2587

Date accessed: 13th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Skinburness Marsh ".