Place:


Gateshead Fell  County Durham

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gateshead Fell like this:

GATESHEAD-FELL, a chapelry in Gateshead parish, Durham; on the Northeastern railway, adjacent to Gateshead. It includes the villages of High Fell, Low Fell, Sheriff Hill, and Wreckenton; all of which, except Sheriff Hill, have post offices under Gateshead. Rated property, £3, 781. Pop. in 1861, 4, 613. The property is much subdivided. Coal and gritstone are worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church has a lofty tower, and was built in 1825. There are chapels for Wesleyans and New Connexion Methodists.

Additional information about this locality is available for Gateshead

Gateshead Fell through time

Gateshead Fell is now part of Gateshead district. Click here for graphs and data of how Gateshead has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gateshead Fell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gateshead Fell, in Gateshead and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25841

Date accessed: 27th May 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gateshead Fell ".