Place:


Warburton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Warburton like this:

WARBURTON, a parish in Altrincham district, Cheshire; on the rivers Mersey and Bollin, adjacent to Heatley and W. r. station, 5 miles WNW of Altrincham. It has a post-office under Warrington, an iron bridge of 1865, and a large flour mill. Acres, 1,747. Real property, £4,170. Pop., 484. Houses, 89. The manor belongs to R. E. E. Warburton, Esq. A Premonstratensian priory anciently stood here; and was annexed, in 1271, to Cockersand abbey. The living is a rectory, annexed to Lymm. The church is an ancient timber edifice, and was recently restored. There is a national school.

Warburton through time

Warburton is now part of Trafford district. Click here for graphs and data of how Trafford has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Warburton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Warburton, in Trafford and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/2565

Date accessed: 21st October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Warburton ".