Place:


Stanningley  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanningley like this:

STANNINGLEY, a chapelry, with a village, in Leeds and Calverley parishes, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Leeds and Halifax railway, 5 miles W of Leeds. It has a station with telegraph on the railway, and a post-office‡ under Leeds. Pop., 2,600. There are woollen factories, machine-works, an iron-foundry, and quarries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. The church was built in 1841, and is in the Norman style. A second church was built in 1856, and is in the early English style. There are five dissenting places of worship and a national school.

Additional information about this locality is available for Pudsey

Stanningley through time

Stanningley is now part of Leeds district. Click here for graphs and data of how Leeds has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stanningley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanningley, in Leeds and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25509

Date accessed: 19th October 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stanningley ".