Place:


Staincliffe  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Staincliffe like this:

STAINCLIFFE, a village and a chapelry in Batley township, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands 1 ½ mile N of Dewsbury r. station, carries on blanket manufactory, and has a post-office under Dewsbury. The chapelry was constituted in 1867. Pop., about 5,000. S. Hall is the seat of Mrs. Kaye. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, not reported. Patron, the Vicar of Batley. The church was built in 1867; is in the decorated English style, with geometric tracery; and has a tower, with octagonal spire.

Additional information about this locality is available for Batley

Staincliffe through time

Staincliffe is now part of Kirklees district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kirklees has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Staincliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Staincliffe, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25507

Date accessed: 20th June 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Staincliffe ".