Place:


Michelham  Sussex

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Michelham like this:

MICHELHAM, a farm in the SE of Sussex; on the river Cuckmere, 2 miles W of Hailsham. An Augustinian canonry was founded here, in the time of Henry III., by Gilbert de Aquila; and went, after the dissolution, to the Sackvilles. The buildings formed a spacions quadrangle; have been converted into a farm-house; are surrounded by a wide moat, tenanted by water lilies, and frequented by the otter; are entered through a square, three-story, gateway tower; include a crypt, now used as a dairy, with an interesting ancient apartment above it; and show features of early English architecture.

Additional information about this locality is available for Arlington

Michelham through time

Michelham is now part of Wealden district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wealden has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Michelham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Michelham, in Wealden and Sussex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25370

Date accessed: 21st January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Michelham ".