Place:


Linley  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Linley like this:

LINLEY, a township in More parish, Salop; 3¼ miles NNE of Bishops-Castle. Pop., 123. Linley Hall is the seat of the ancient family of More; one of whom was Col. More, the defender of Hopton castle, and translator of Mede's "Clavis." Remains of a Roman villa were found, near the Hall, in 1856. The township is a meet for the United Pack hounds.

Additional information about this locality is available for More

Linley through time

Linley is now part of South Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Linley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Linley in South Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25316

Date accessed: 15th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Linley ".