Place:


Hale  Northamptonshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hale like this:

HALE, a quondam township in Northampton; near the river Nen, 3 miles S of Kingscliffe. In 1352, it had a church, and was designated Hale-near-Nassington; but now it is represented only by traces of three streets

The location is that given by the Rockingham Forest Trust: "The hamlet of Hale (NGR TL015 943) lay on limestone and mudstone in the south west of Apethorpe township, though originally probably had its own separate land unit centred on a tributary stream of the Nene. ... The earthworks of this deserted settlement were levelled since 1947 but subsequently soilmarks and surface scatter of stone and medieval pottery of the 12th to 14th century has been recorded which show the general layout of the settlement. It lay on either side of a road running westward from the stream along the crest of a small spur up to the boundary of the royal woodland of Morehay, where the road opened into a wider green like area. The settlement already existed by 1086 and a chapel is first mentioned in 1250 and existed until at least 1388." (http://resource.rockingham-forest-trust.org.uk/read.asp?DocID=669 , accessed on 19th Sept 2011). Additional information about this locality is available for Apethorpe

Hale through time

Hale is now part of East Northamptonshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Northamptonshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hale in East Northamptonshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/25261

Date accessed: 26th January 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hale ".